Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday Morning Surprise!

I'm closing in on my four-year vegeversary, and in that time, I've experienced mixed responses. Some people ask me if I want a cheeseburger (or bacon, or a hotdog), which I think is completely unfunny and also unoriginal. You're not the first asshole to make that remark, but good try. And I don't go around asking you if you're ready for the heart attack that's probably coming your way. Most people accept it, and that's it. This is preferable. I'm not asking anyone to change what they do, and more importantly, I'm not asking anyone to defend themselves and their choices. Mutual respect, even if we disagree, is ideal in just about any situation. Once in a while, though, people surprise me and take a leap into veganism, and do so for no other reason than for me.

I don't mean that in a self-centered, "everyone cater to me" way, because I honestly have very low expectations in any situation involving food and people beyond a select few. Omni Mom has been the most brave and daring, dabbling in vegan baking more than once. My Aunt Corry also always makes sure she has something I can eat when we visit her, which is reason #8264 I love her. Mandi has started experimenting with things here and there, too.

Mandi, yours truly, Aunt Corry.

All of the time and effort and thought put into making food for me is so deeply and sincerely appreciated. Because food is not just food. Food has the potential to speak volumes about who we are, how we think, and what we do.

This point of this post isn't to wax philosophical, though. The point of this is just to say: I appreciate the thought, energy, and effort people put into making food for me, probably more than anyone realizes.

That's why when I came into work today and saw a dozen vegan cupcakes on my desk, I was totally surprised! Best Friday morning ever!!! My co-worker/friend Sabrina is pretty fabulous, which isn't shocking because so is her mama. The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. Her mom wanted to "try something different" and decided to try vegan cupcakes for me.



How awesome and sweet and nice and YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't tell you what recipe was used or speak to their preparation. I can, however, tell you that they were delicious and made a great breakfast alternative today!

If you're reading: thanks, Mel!!!!!! :D

4 comments:

  1. That's an awesome surprise!
    I'm at 20 years of vegism and so over some peoples negative comments. Every now and again though, it does inspire someone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was! And yes, the negativity is really annoying. Little else can make me snap and be a bitch than snarky comments about my choices. And the fact that people think they are so funny and clever and the first person to make such remarks blows my mind! That's the coolest part, though! I wish everyone were vegan but I know that will never be the case, but if my choices can inspire someone to make one change, that feels great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fairly certain I will never go vegan, I love cheese and bacon too much. I'm proud of myself, though, for the changes I've made when it comes to food. I eat less meat, I eat more organic and I do my best to be very aware of where my meat/seafood comes from. In the last few years I've become more conscious of what I put into my body (though I still cheat here and there, sigh) which at the end of the day is all that matters to me.

    I'm very proud of you for sticking to this. I can't imagine the transition was all that easy, especially with such assholes who make remarks or who can't understand it. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't beat yourself up, sometimes I crave (and give into) a bowl of Trix with some soymilk, haha! Everyone has to do what's best for them. I just wish more people realized they don't have to eat meat three times a day to be healthy and feel energized, you know? Or that people were just more aware of how their food is actually made, and where it comes from. If more people were willing to educate themselves about meat production, I bet all the money I have that people would demand changes to our food production system. Love you, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete