Saturday, October 15, 2011

A technicality...

As you are (hopefully!) well aware, Vegan MoFo is vegan food all day, every day for a month. And while today's food is technically vegan... I don't recommend you eat it.



I bring you vegan dog treats. I can't even remember what made me google vegan dog treats, but I did, and came across a few recipes that called for things I had on hand. I picked a peanut butter recipe, because I think the only person who loves pb more than I do is Dakota. I just bought some Halloween cookie cutters yesterday, too, so I thought it'd be cute to make some seasonally appropriate shaped treats.

You'll need:

- 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 C water
- 1/2 C peanut butter

1. Combine water, oil, and peanut butter. Add flour one cup at a time. By the time I got to the last cup, I had to use my hands to mix it. Add a splash of water if necessary. Form a ball.
2. Divide ball into two halves. Roll out ball of dough, cut into squares/use cookie cutters/use glass to cut treats. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Repeat with remaining dough.
4. Bake on 350 for about 10 minutes. Baking time will vary depending on the size of your treats; just keep an eye on them!



Dakota loved them, and while I'm not sure if that's a good indicator as to how other dogs will like them because she eats just about anything, I felt better feeding her these natural and vegan dog treats! I ended up with about three dozen treats, so I bagged up some for a few doggy friends of ours!


Have you ever made your own dog treats or dog food? If so, please share your experiences! I'm interested in transitioning Dakota to a more natural/vegan diet, but I know little about it so far and would love to hear from other parents of puppies!

No comments:

Post a Comment