Monday, October 10, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Pancakes

Perhaps my favorite thing about days off is leisurely mornings. There's no alarm going off at 5:30, no hitting the snooze button until the absolute last minute, no rushing around because I hit the snooze button an undisclosed number of times. Instead, I can sleep in and wake up when I feel rested, which was about 8 this morning. My 15-year-old self would be disappointed that I've reached the point where 8AM is sleeping in, but my 24-year-old self savored every extra hour. It was great. 


I've seen loads of recipes and pictures floating around the internet for pumpkin spice pancakes, so when I woke up this morning, I knew what I wanted for breakfast. I've also seen a variety of recipes, so based on the recipes I've seen, this is the one I used.


Pumpkin Spice Pancakes


You'll need:
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
Dash of ground ginger
Dash of ground cloves
1 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond)
½ cup pumpkin puree

Egg replacer for 1 egg (I used Ener-G, but I think apple sauce would also work well)
2 tbsp. melted butter

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and spices and stir with a fork to combine.  In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin puree, egg replacer and oil or butter in a liquid measuring cup.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together just until combined.
Heat a greased skillet or griddle over medium heat.  Once the skillet is hot, add a 1/3 cup scoop of batter to the pan.  Let cool until bubbles begin to form on the top surface.  Flip and cook the second side until golden brown, a couple minutes more.  Repeat with the rest of the batter, regreasing the pan as needed. Serve with cinnamon sugar, maple syrup, and/or non-dairy whipped cream.

These were delicious and perfect for a lazy fall morning. The hardest part was deciding what topping to use: maple syrup or some of the apple syrup I bought at the National Apple Harvest Festival last weekend... 


Before I wrap this up and get started on my laundry list of things to get done today, I wanted to thank everyone for all the great support and feedback during the first week of Vegan MoFo! 



5 comments:

  1. Have you ever seen "Cabin Fever"? There's a little boy in the movie, and his name is Dennis. He screams "Pancakes!" from the top of his lungs before biting someone. That's how I feel about pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both the pancakes & syrup look amazing, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - HAHA! No, I have not, but my feelings are the same. I'll eat just about any kind of pancakes, let's be honest.
    Vegan in Brighton - They were a delicious combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pancakes look perfect, yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandee - They were! Possibly the most perfect batch I've ever made!

    ReplyDelete