Monday, October 3, 2011

S'more Pops!



The recent drop in temperature is a harsh reminder that summer is over, but instead of dwelling on the fact that it's so cold I feel like my toes might freeze off (see? I'm not just being a wimp), I like to think of my favorite things of fall: Halloween, apples, bonfires. In my mind, "bonfires" is synonymous with "smores," so when I saw this recipe for smore pops in facebook, I knew I had to veganize it. With a few simple substitutions, this is easily made vegan-friendly. And while I made this batch in my kitchen over my gas stove, I couldn't help but think of nights spent with friends, gathered around a fire and hanging out. I hope such a night is in my near future!

To recreate these, you'll need:
marshmallows (I used Dandies)
chocolate (I used Whole Foods vegan chocolate chips)
graham crackers, crushed
lollipop sticks
styrofoam block

The method could not be any easier:
1. Put two (or three, since they're tiny compared to non-vegan marshmallows) marshmallows on each stick.
2. Melt chocolate in bowl.
3. Lay out crushed graham cracker crumbs on plate.
4. Toast marshmallows over stove. Dip in chocolate, roll in graham cracker.
5. Let dry/set in styrofoam block.

I wrapped up mine and brought most of them to work. I didn't want to be responsible for eating all of them. Several of my non-vegan co-workers tried them and agreed that these were super tasty!








5 comments:

  1. Those are unbelievably awesome! Next time I get hold of some vegan marshmallows I'll be making these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a brilliant idea! I love it. Now I just need to find some vegan marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. vegan.in.brighton - I definitely recommend it! Super easy and yummy!
    Kimberly _ http://www.cosmosveganshoppe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=MOS I used Dandies, and they're great! Let me know if you try these and how you like them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - what a cute idea. I'm putting together a list of food for a Halloween Party later this month and this one could be a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! They would be great for Halloween, too! They were really easy to make, and I got lots of compliments about them.

    ReplyDelete