Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Baked Pasta Shells and Broccoli


So you may have noticed the title of this post and the picture don't match. If this is the case, I'd say you're very observant, and correct. Why the mismatch?

Well. I had a hell of a time with the broccoli. The first grocery store only offered limp, wilted, rubbery broccoli. Thanks, but no thanks. I went to a second grocery store, and their broccoli offering left something to be desired, but I found enough of what I thought was good broccoli.

Wrong.

After I washed and started cutting the broccoli, I realized the florets were infested with these tiny, dead black bugs that were stuck to the broccoli and left behind little brown marks when I removed them, somewhat forcibly. I have no idea what the bugs were, and but I did know that a) I was thoroughly grossed out and b) there was no way I was going to be able to remove all of these little bugs. And even if I had, I don't think I would have been able to get over the situation mentally.

So I got a little angry, because I really wanted baked macaroni and broccoli! Then I got over it, and made do. I ended up making just a simple macaroni and cheese based on the intended recipe from 1000 Vegan Recipes, kale chips, and heating up some Gardein I (thankfully) picked up at the store. Those little orange tomatoes are from my aunt's garden - I'd never had orange cherry tomatoes before, but they're really sweet and yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment