Friday, February 11, 2011

Garlicky Broccoli, Corn, and Bean Burritos


This week was my first full week of work since the middle of December. No, I'm not kidding. Between Christmas break, snow days, a holiday, and a sick day, it's been a good while since I've worked a solid 40 hours. And I'm feeling it. I feel like an 80 year old woman admitting that, but this week kicked my ass more often than not. As such, I was motivated to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible tonight. And thus I present these little babies from Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan.

This recipe relies on a lot of kitchen staples, so I only had to pick up the hoisin sauce (in the Asian foods aisle for those who are new to it like I was!), tortillas, and broccoli. Aside from having to wrestle open a new bottle of balsamic vinegar, this was so simple and the end result left my tummy totally satisfied. Mission accomplished.

The recipe says this will make four servings, but I made five burritos because I had so much filling. And honestly, I should have made it six because the last two burritos I rolled were on the brink of explosion.

I was able to find an online recipe for this, but I've got a few comments/suggestions, per the printed version.
  • If you don't want to make the beans yourself, you can opt for a can of vegetarian refried beans (I use Amy's Kitchen from Whole Foods when necessary, but made my own for this recipe). 
  • I added the tamari to the bean mixture, but I'm not sure if it makes a huge difference.
  • Be sure to use vegan worcestershire sauce. I use Annie's Naturals.
  • Use 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce and 2 tsp hoisin sauce.
  • If you use the nutritional info listed with the recipe online, I'm not sure how accurate it is. It says it makes four tortillas but six servings? Not sure how that works out, so you might want to calculate it yourself.
Aside from all that jazz, everything else appears to be correct. So go forth and cook.

1 comment:

  1. We had these just last week! I highly recommend topping them with the smoky avo sauce (also from eat, drink and be vegan) next time you make them, so YUM! Definitely ties it all together.

    ReplyDelete