Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ain't nothin' a vegan cupcake can't cure.






Oh, cupcakes. How I love thee. Is there really anyone who doesn't like cupcakes?

I first heard about Emily's Desserts a few years ago, but at the time, the bakery was operating as an appointment/request-only joint. Since even I can't justify placing an order for a single cupcake, I hadn't felt particularly motivated to try them out. Until a few weeks ago, that is, when I learned that the bakery now has a kiosk in the Towson Town Center, which is where I happen to buy my contacts.

After an exceptionally obnoxious day at work, I was doubly pleased to receive a phone call that my contacts were available for pick up: I could now discard my sandpaper-esque contacts and finally give Emily's Desserts a try.

The kiosk was insanely cute, as should be all things cupcakes, and the woman working was super friendly and nice. There were at least 10 flavors to choose from, including several gluten-free options, so I settled on a mix half dozen. From top, around clockwise: chocolate with peanut butter frosting, cookies n cream, Valentine's... something (?), chocolate chip, chocolate with peanut butter frosting again, and chocolate and strawberry frosting.

I've already sampled two. I couldn't help myself. They both were so, so good. The cake is really moist and fluffy and flavorful - achieving all three of these qualities can be difficult for some people. I know it seems blasphemous to pair the word "bad" with the word "cupcake," but I've had some vegan cupcakes with the flavor/texture of what I imagine cardboard tastes like. The frosting was also light and fluffy, but not so overly sweet it sent my system into shock. I've also had frosting, of the vegan and non-vegan variety, that could send me, a non-diabetic, in a diabetic coma. It was also obvious these little babies were fresh (it was about 6PM when I bought them) and weren't yesterday's leftovers - dry, day-old-tasting cupcakes are the worst.

Emily's Desserts totally warrants the Charm City Vegan Seal of Approval. If you're in the Towson mall, or are in need of amazing vegan cupcakes, Emily's Desserts is the obvious choice.

1 comment:

  1. looks really good! so great that you can find vegan cupcakes that actually taste amazing!

    ReplyDelete