Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Birthday Part II


My mom's birthday was yesterday, so naturally, my day was filled with lots of delicious food. For dinner, we went out to one of my favorite places - yes, that's right, one of my favorite places on her birthday, how nice is my mom? - Mr. Chan's, a Chinese restaurant in Reisterstown. Unfortunately, they don't maintain any sort of website, but I promise visiting it in person will worth it! It's kind of a drive from our house, too, but their friendly waitstaff, fresh food, and variety of vegan options make up for it.


 Each meal starts with a cabbage salad and ginger dressing and those fried noodle things (seriously, what are they called?) with duck sauce and hot mustard. The cabbage salad is amazing, and I'm generally not a fan of ginger.


I ordered the veggie wonton soup for an appetizer.



My favorite meal here is the warm protein salad served with brown rice. It's made of seitan, yuba, and healmey with mushrooms and toasted pine nuts. Be warned, if you don't ask for it to be made otherwise, your meal will be chock full of mushrooms. I'm not a fan of them, though, so I always order "just a little bit." They're pretty accommodating. The food is always fantastic and fresh, and the servings are so generous, I always have leftovers for lunch the next day. Those leftovers turned out to be the best part of my work day, too, but that's neither here nor there...



Then we came home and I made chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World for dessert. Yes, I just bought a half dozen cupcakes, but Mom prefers my cupcakes to those. Birthday Girl gets what Birthday Girl wants. 

And I can't find a link to the pb frosting, but here's the book's recipe for a basic buttercream frosting. What's a cupcake without frosting? Tip: Make sure everything is room temperature!!

No comments:

Post a Comment