Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"Grate" Potato Bake



This Christmas, Santa brought a new cookbook for me, hooray! I was super excited about this, because I love her other book. When I was looking through it, this recipe immediately caught my eye because potatoes earn a very high ranking on my list of favorite foods. I thought this paired with steamed broccoli (also a high achiever on my favorite foods list) would be perfect.

Perfect is not how I would describe the outcome, and the fault is mine. Prior to grocery shopping, I made the assumption that we had dill in our otherwise fabulously well stocked spice cabinet. Wrong, and you know what happens when you assume. So, when I realized my mistake while mid-prep and wrist deep in grated potatoes, I decided to just carry on and omit the two teaspoons of dill. The end result was more than a tad bland.

When recipes don't turn out quite like I expect, they end up on one of two lists: 1) Hell No Am I Ever Trying This Again, or 2) I Will Try Again and I WILL Prevail. This one definitely earns a spot on the latter, if for no other reason than my untamable love for potatoes.

In the end, all was well because there ain't nothin' a little ketchup can't fix.

3 comments:

  1. You need a 3rd list - the "I gave it to the dog it was so nasty" list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh. I'm glad I found this blog!
    I use to be a vegetarian, but my parents said I could be because I didn't have enough cuisines for my protein! Thanks, Nikki!

    www.nequiaacovv.blogspot.com !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom - That kinda falls under the first, in most cases.

    Nequia - That's unfortunate your parents weren't more supportive of your choice - feeling like the people closest to you support your decision (even if they don't understand it) is so important! A well-planned, well-balance vegetarian or vegan diet can provide all the nutrients you need to be happy and healthy, and there are loads of resources out there to help you learn about good nutrition!

    ReplyDelete