Sunday, January 9, 2011

Black Bean & Corn Soup with Fired-up Jalapeno Cornbread



For my birthday - over the summer, mind you - a good friend of mine gave me 1000 Vegan Recipes. New cookbooks incite a special kind of excitement, but this particular book also invoked a feeling not typically associated with recipe books: trepidation. One thousand recipes? Kind of intimidating. I didn't know where to start. I've made a few recipes over the months I've had it, but I hadn't really dug into it.

One day, I decided enough was enough. I felt foolish for letting the sheer size of the book deter me, but I also kind of felt like a jerk for not getting the most out of a very thoughtful gift from one of my favorite friends. Whether I was ready or not, I added 1000 Vegan Recipes into my regular rotation.

Given my newfound sense of determination, I first tackled Black Bean Soup. Mexican-inspired food is easily one of my favorites. I attribute this to my affinity for: beans of all kinds, corn, and spicy foods.

The soup turned out beautifully. I love everything about this soup: the colors, the texture, the flavor. I also whipped up a batch of the Jalapeno corn bread, which went with this soup perfectly.

The undeniable yumminess of the soup only adds to my feelings of foolishness and jerkfulness. Oh, well. You live and learn.

4 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! Too bad I can't cook to save my life. Maybe learning to cook will be my next project...

    ReplyDelete
  2. just found your blog and love it! my brother in law just went vegan and I'm experimenting sometimes with it. His reasoning was the 'China Study', what was yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda - Thanks! It's delicious and fairly easy - chop some veggies, open a few cans, and that's the bulk of the work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin - Thank you so much! That's so awesome of/for your brother-in-law, and you. Are you dabbling for his sake or yours? Either way, that's really cool. I've been wanting to read The China Study; I'd just learned about it a few months ago. A concise version of my journey: picky meat eater tries vegetarianism while also reading Skinny Bitch. By the end of the book, I realized veganism was what's best for me. Now that I'm better informed, I know there are way better resources than that book, but it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete