Friday, September 2, 2011

Black Bean Avocado Salad



The first week of school has come to a close, and I made it out alive. This week was not without its fair share of first day tears and temper tantrums, but it went pretty well! We've got an interesting group of pre-kindergarteners, but I'm really looking forward to this year... and I already want to adopt three of our eight kids.

Back to work means lunches need to be quick, easy, and portable. I always pack my lunch, because a) it saves money but b) school lunches are never vegan. This week I made a black bean/avocado salad, and it was perfect! I'm not a huge fan of avocado, especially by itself, but I'm really trying to like it because it boasts loads of health benefits (the vitamins, minerals, and good fats found in avocados promote eye health, lower cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease and a variety of cancers). In this salad, it was pretty good, and it left me feeling full without feeling heavy or too full. Definitely a good choice for lunch at work!

I'm off to Southern MD for the holiday weekend. My priority this weekend is sleeping in. I love summer, and I'd be lying if I said summer wasn't part of the appeal of becoming a teacher. Summers off, however, make you forget to appreciate weekends and sleeping in! After sleeping in and NOT waking up to an alarm, I have a cook-out tomorrow and I'm going to see the Blue Angels on Sunday. What are you doing for Labor Day weekend? However you celebrate, I hope you are surrounded by good people and good food, are safe and have fun!

The face of someone happy to see the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment