Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Black Bean Burgers and Sweet Potato Wedges


I'm on spring break, and I've been a real lazy body. I've basically spent my days thus far sleeping and counting down the days until I leave for New Orleans (tomorrow!). I did, however, get around to making real food over the weekend.

The days are getting warmer and longer, which means one thing: summer is on the way! Even though my summer will be jammed pack with grad classes and attempting to make some money some how (with the "how" part yet undetermined...), I love summer! I love making various vegan burgers, and lately, I've been craving black bean burgers.

I've tried a few different recipes for black bean burgers, and this is by far my favorite. Other recipes throw things like carrots, corn, and green peppers into the patties. And while I don't dislike these things - in fact, I love corn and carrots - they just don't belong in my burger! Instead of lots of veggies, this recipe features wheat gluten to give it a slightly chewy texture (much like these chickpea cutlets) and I love it!

You can top these with whatever you like, but sometimes I like just ketchup and mustard. I paired these with some simple sweet potato wedges and I could almost taste summer...

The recipe can be found here, and you can substitute the paste with ketchup.

That's it for the week, because tomorrow I'm bound for the Big Easy!

1 comment: