Sunday, March 20, 2011

Broccoli Cashew Teriyaki Tofu Stir-Fry


As tofu and I continue to rebuild our relationship, I had bookmarked this recipe in Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan a few weeks ago. The tofu not withstanding, this sounded amazing. Broccoli? Cashews? Teriyaki? Yes, please. Given my love of these three things, I gave it a go.

And it was pretty tasty. The tofu was probably my least favorite ingredient in the stir-fry, but I think if I had cubed it smaller, it would have been better. I cooked up some brown rice to serve with it. The leftovers heated up nicely for lunch the next day, too!

Even better? I was able to find an online recipe for this here. A note about molasses, as it's required for the teriyaki sauce: use organic molasses because conventional molasses is not vegan! The refining process of non-organic molasses includes animal by-products, and although I cannot remember exactly what it is at this moment (this kind of information has been filed away as "I know it's not vegan, but I can't remember why"), I would be more than happy to find out for you. If you can't find organic molasses at your normal grocery store, try Trader Joe's or Whole Foods! And while we're on this topic, white sugar and powdered sugar fall under this same category. Organic powdered sugar and turbinado sugar (available at Giant and even some Wal-Marts!) are easy alternatives.

Enjoy!

1 comment: