Friday, December 31, 2010

Chopstix Gourmet



There are few people I still talk to from high school, and one of them is my friend Julie. She was one of my best friends in high school, and although she went away to college and now grad school, we still keep in touch. She was home for the holidays, and we decided to go out to lunch to catch up.

We attempted to go to an Indian restaurant in the 'burbs because Indian food is also on my "ohmygod I love this" list. Is anyone really surprised? To my dismay, they were closed, so we ended up at Chopstix Gourmet, a Chinese sushi bar.

Venturing out to unfamiliar omni restaurants can sometimes be a pain. Prior to meeting up with Julie, I perused their online menu, and although they had some vegetarian options listed, it was hard to determine if anything was truly vegan. I called the restaurant in an attempt to answer my million dollar question, but the person who answered was mostly unhelpful.

So, without really knowing if I'd be eating anything more than brown rice, we went in. As was the case with their online menu, the menu wasn't particularly helpful in identifying vegetarian/vegan items. Julie seemed to have no problems, but I couldn't understand the waitress. Eventually I asked to speak to the manager, who was able to help me find a vegan meal. I probably asked her ten times, "No egg? No fish?"

I ended up ordering a steamed vegetable meal with brown rice and a soy sauce-based sauce. The food was yummy, and I loved the wooden/bamboo contraption that held the vegetables. Despite having to play 20 questions with the waitress prior to ordering, I enjoyed the place. The ambiance is neat, the food was tasty, and the company was fabulous.

As this will be my last post of 2010, I want to wish everyone Happy New Year! Be safe tonight, and may the new year bring you everything you wish for!

No comments:

Post a Comment