Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Cookie Extravaganza!



Happy Holidays! Christmas is one of my favorite holidays, and this year was wonderful. I had to cram four family celebrations into two days, across the state of Maryland, but it was well worth it. I got to spend those two days with some of my favorite people on Earth.

This year, I made cookies for several holiday functions as well as gifts for numerous family, friends, and co-workers. I made approximately: 20 dozen chocolate chip cookies (note: this recipe says the butter should be chilled; it actually needs to be room temperature), 6 dozen sugar cookies, 2 dozen oatmeal raisin cookies, and 2 dozen Mexican chocolate snickerdoodles. I was a cookie-making machine.

All of the recipes I used came from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, except for the chocolate chip cookies. That recipe is my go-to for chocolate chip cookies and is published in Vegan with a Vengeance. I gifted dozens upon dozens of chocolate chip cookies, all to non-vegans and many of whom later said how yummy they were.



Like I said before, this is my absolutely favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. In the nearly four years I've been vegan, I tried (and rejected) many recipes before trying this one. My only issue with this recipe is that not all of the flour or chips incorporate into the dough. So I reduce the amount for both. I only use about a cup of chocolate chips, and reduce the amount of flour by about 1/4 cup. This way, the dough isn't too sticky, but it also mixes nicely. Real scientific, I know...



These sugar cookies are so yummy, but wow, they can be a pain. Be prepared with a cool kitchen and loads of patience. I had to chill my dough overnight; just a few hours in the refrigerator wasn't enough. Be sure to flour your surface and rolling pin; if the dough still tears and is too sticky, pat more flour onto the dough itself. This was a lot of trial-and-error, but with enough patience, it turned out really tasty. I brought these to a party on Friday; people scarfed them down within just a few hours.

Regrettably, I don't have a picture of the other two. They were really yummy, too! The Mexican chocolate snickerdoodles have a spicy kick thanks to the cayenne, but be sure to have a glass of almond milk on deck. You're gonna need it. And I'm not normally a fan of oatmeal cookies, but these were delicious! Even my brother liked them.

I hope your holiday was wonderful and filled with good company and good food!

No comments:

Post a Comment