Saturday, December 24, 2011

Chocolate-Glazed Cake Donuts


Last weekend, I had a hankering for donuts. This was a pretty easy recipe to throw together. The only issue was that the recipe said it would make 6 full-sized donuts. And I'm pretty sure my donut pans are full-sized. So when I started piping the batter in the pan, I thought to myself, "Dang, this is a lot of batter for just six donuts. But Mama Pea's recipes are always legit... so I guess this is all for six donuts."


Wrong. Very, very wrong. These donuts had the worst muffin top I've ever seen. Ever. Note to self: trust your instincts, dummy. 


Even though they look ridiculous and I felt like a moron, they were still delicious. 

This recipea comes from the Peas and Thank You blog.

Ingredients (Makes 6 full-size donuts)
  • 1 c. unbleached organic flour
  • 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 T. baking powder
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • dash of cinnamon
  • 1/2 t. ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 c. vegan margarine (i.e. Earth Balance), melted
  • 3/4 c. non-dairy milk
  • 1/2 t. vanilla extract
  • 3/4 c. organic sugar
Chocolate glaze:
  • 1/2 c. non-dairy chocolate chips
  • 1 T. coconut oil
  • Optional: organic sprinkles
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
  • In a small bowl (or just in your liquid measuring cup), combine melted margarine, milk, vanilla and sugar. Mix until sugar has dissolved.
  • Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined.
  • You’ll need a donut pan like this.
  • I found mine at Crate + Barrel and bought it on the spot. And then I bought a one-piece bathing suit.
  • Pipe or spoon batter into a donut pan that has been lightly greased or sprayed with cooking spray.
  • Bake for 11-13 minutes or until donuts are firm to the touch. Allow donuts to cool in pan for approximately 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
  • For glaze, melt chocolate and oil in a shallow bowl, either using a microwave in 30-second increments or a double boiler.
  • Dip each donut in chocolate and top with sprinkles, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment