Sunday, February 13, 2011

Black Bean Hummus


Forgive this picture; I forgot to snap one pre-party, so here's one post-party.

Over the weekend, one of my favorite friends had a game night at a house she's house-sitting for the next year. I was excited by the prospect of making a finger food/appetizer because that's probably the least frequently made food in my kitchen. I was also kind of anxious, because there were going to be new and non-vegan people there, so I didn't want to make anything too scary for non-vegans.

After browsing all of my cookbooks and coming up empty-handed, I started looking at Whole Foods' website. I came across this black bean hummus, and given my love of hummus and beans, decided on this, praying it was a happy medium between vegan and non-vegan.

It was super easy to make, and really tasty. I served it with sliced baby carrots, celery, and tortilla chips. You could easily substitute any sort of raw veggies for the carrots and celery, and pita is an obvious pairing. I actually meant to get some at the store, but forgot, thus the chips.

Black Bean Hummus

Ingredients

2 cups no-salt-added cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/4 cup tahini
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium tamari
1 teaspoon ume vinegar or 2 teaspoons lemon juice (or to taste)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Method

Combine black beans, garlic, tahini, cumin, water, tamari and vinegar in a food processor. Pulse until smooth and all ingredients are combined. Transfer to a serving bowl, fold in cilantro and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment