Monday, February 14, 2011

Baked Falafel



So, this baked falafel from Appetite for Reduction was supposed to make lettuce wraps, but the wrapping part was kind of a failure. I think the lettuce leaves were too small, but the romaine looked gross when I went to the store. Oh well, the end result was still delectable.

These came together really quickly; I think the total active time was 15 minutes. When they were fresh out of the oven, they were so perfectly moist and delicious. When I used them today, they were a little dry, so I've made a note to use less flour next time to hopefully rectify this situation.

You can eat these in pita, by themselves, with dips, whatever. I opted for the lettuce wraps as I'm trying to up my raw veggie intake. I spread a little hummus on the leaves (which was kind of chickpea overload but I also discovered that yellow mustard paired with these suits my palate just fine) and chopped red onion. The taste/texture was satisfying and filling and not too heavy, unlike fried falafel. Be warned, however, that because these are on the tiny side, you'll be tempted to pop them like candy. I'm already wishing I had made a double batch...

No comments:

Post a Comment