Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chunky Chili



Hi, I'm not dead. I've just been sick for about forever (I very rarely get sick since going vegan, but wow the last month or so has been bad!), and after recently receiving an acceptance letter to grad school (yay!) I've been absorbed with getting everything set up to start classes in May. My apologies for neglecting you!

I've had chili on the brain for a while lately, so when the obnoxious question "What should I make for dinner?" arose, the answer was obvious. For once.

I didn't really follow a recipe, which is rare for me because I don't really trust my culinary instincts. I can follow a recipe like no one's business, but don't ask me to make up something. This was pretty much exactly what I wanted.

To make something similar, you'll need:

1 sweet onion
2 bell peppers
3 15 oz cans of beans (I used black and kidney)
28 oz diced tomatoes, with juice (I think it's 28 oz; I know it's the big can)
1 tbsp cumin
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cocoa powder
dash of sea salt
dash of cayenne pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes

1. Cut fresh veggies. (You can cut these however big or small you like them. I like mine kind of chunky.) Saute in 1 tbsp olive oil. After three or four minutes, add the spices.
2. When the veggies start to soften, add tomatoes and beans. Simmer until heated through.

Yeah. It was that easy. Not super fancy or elaborate, but yummy enough! Feel free to adjust veggies and/or spices and/or beans to your liking! This can easily be served over brown rice, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment